10 January 2020

Drums of Heroism---for Neil Peart (1952-2020)


 
Enter the Champion, Prince By-Tor appears
to battle for freedom from chains of long years.
The spell has been broken... the Dark Lands are bright,
the Wraith of the Necromancer soars away... in the night

--- "Return Of The Prince", Caress of Steel (1975)



The Master Bard Aerdile Oowln-lept wrought
with staccato might,
a Rensonant Unbinding---
and reclaimed that Night.


The Master Bard Aerdile Oowln-lept wrought---

The Balefires sputtered,
Away they fled.  To hear his song:
The drums, the drums.  Long, long.

---The Fables of Burdock



Drums of Heroism (Artifact) 


Borne into battle by warriors of renown since the Night of the Invoked Devastation, the Drums of Heroism appear as a well-made but nondescript musical instrument---sometimes as a single drum, sometimes as a pair or a trio of drums as an attached set (making them particularly difficult to identify among magical artifacts, for they do not radiate a magical aura to any save a bard's divinations).  

Usable by any class of character, the Drums of Heroism provide a potent boost to the prowess of allies in battle:  after being played uninterrupted for a full turn, they grant a bonus of +2 to hit to all allies within a 40-foot radius (in dungeons or outdoors), as well as a +10% bonus to morale.  These effects last for as long as playing continues, and for one hour (six turns) after playing has ceased.  While playing the Drums of Heroism, a character cannot engage in melee combat or spell casting, although they can speak normally to any listener within a 2" radius (outside of which their words are inaudible due to the volume of the drums).

If played for longer than one turn and one hour, a non-bard character playing the Drums of Heroism suffers a Major Malevolent Effect (Table IV); a bard only suffers a Minor Malevolent Effect (Table III); a Master Bard does not suffer any malevolent effects.

In the hands of a bard of level 1-11, the efficacy of the Drums of Heroism improves significantly: 
  • the area of effect of the Drums expands to include all allies within 400 feet (in dungeons or the outdoor)
  • playing is cumulative with the bard's own poetics, granting a total bonus of +3 to hit and +20% to morale
  • the cumulative bonuses take effect after two rounds of playing (as the standard bardic ability), and remain for as long as the bard plays, and for two hours after playing ceases (12 turns)
When played by a Master Bard (level 12+), the true magics of the Drums of Heroism are revealed:
  • amplifies bardic inspiration for all allies within a 4000 foot radius (in dungeons or the outdoor)
  • bardic poetics remain at +3 to hit and +20% morale
  • allied 0-level men-at-arms, as well as fighters and sub-classes of level 13 or less, and monster allies of 13+3 HD or less gain an increase in effective fighting level or HD determined by the Master Bard's level (as per effects of a potion of super-heroism):
Master Bard   
Level
Number of Energy   
Levels Bestowed
 10-sided Dice for
Accumulated HP Bestowed
 11-14  1  1+5
 15-17  2  2+4
 18-20  3  3+3
 21-22
 4  4+2
 23  5  5+1
  • the cumulative bonuses take effect after only one round of playing, and remain for as long as the Master Bard plays, and for three hours after playing ceases (18 turns)
 
Additional Artifact Powers and Effects
  • 1 x Table I for non-bards (2 x Table I for bards, 4 x Table I for Master Bards)
  • 1 x Table II for non-bards (2 x Table II for bards, 3 x Table I for Master Bards)
  • 1 x Table III for non-bards
  • (1 x Table V for bards, 2 x Table V for Master Bards)
  • 2 x Table VI for non-bards (1 x Table for non-Master-Bards)

G.P. Sale Value:  75,000 (175,000+ to a bard)

==

I was introduced to Rush's music in the late 1970s by one of my childhood friends, Scott Nutt.  He played A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres for me, using his older brother's LPs, and I definitely didn't get it.  However the seeds planted by Scott bore fruit a decade later when I was re-exposed to Rush in college by my friends Michael Chiacchiero and Allen Ruch (with whom I played AD&D regularly as well).

I saw Rush perform several times over the years, with friends in Philly and in Kansas, and my wife Heather even saw their Time Machine tour with me in Wichita on 20 August 2010 (true love indeed!), the last time I saw Rush perform. Our youngest son Henry ranks Rush as one of his favorite bands. 

Rest in Peace, Neil.  Thank you for the decades of inspiration, and the memories you shaped for me, my friends, and my family. 

Allan.

8 comments:

  1. A terrific tribute, Allan. Well done, my friend.

    I never got to see Rush in person but own a couple DVDs of theirs, including the excellent documentary, Beyond the Lighted Stage. One of my favorites, for sure, and I'll keep this page bookmarked to bring the Drums of Heroism into my game.

    I enjoy that we share a love of RPGs, Greyhawk, the Delaware Valley, and especially at this time, an admiration for Rush.

    Happy gaming and may the good memories soothe all Rush fans,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Allan. I forgot about these drums. Neil must have had many of these. Here's an interesting fact you may already know:

    By-Tor And The Snow Dog

    Rush's road manager Howard Ungerleider came up with the title at a party. There were two dogs at the party, one a German shepherd and the other a tiny white nervous dog. Howard used to call the shepherd By-Tor because anyone that walked into the house was bitten. The other dog was a snow-dog (white). So from that night on Howard called the pair of dogs "By-Tor and the Snow Dog." The dogs belonged to Rush's manager.

    R.I.P. Neil

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I was able to see Rush with a couple of my best friends in Toronto years ago. It was an amazing concert but Peart absolutely stole the show and mesmerized us. He changed how I looked at drums.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Neil was a bit confused/conflicted about By-Tor. In the song By-Tor and the Snow Dog, By-Tor is the bad guy "By-Tor – Knight of Darkness,
    Centurion of evil – Devil’s Prince" but on the next album in the song the Necromancer he's a good guy "Enter the Champion. Prince By-Tor appears to battle for freedom from chains of long years."

    Maybe I misunderstood the lyrics but I always wanted a third song explaining WTF?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you everyone for your enthusiastic replies!

    @Michael: looking forward to gaming with you and the clan again when I'm back home :D

    @Raft: I'd not heard that story before, thank you for sharing it!

    @Ruprecht: I would certainly have welcomed a third By-Tor song. If Rush doesn't do it, perhaps someone else will, one way.

    Allan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That’s a lovely tribute. Best one I’ve read yet.

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful and civil in your commentary. Inappropriate comments may be edited or deleted as dictated by the whims of Balo, Chief Jester and Editor for the Lords of Chaos.