Letter from EGG to Stephen Chenault, 14 January 2004
Seems as if my email and yours is going to take up a considerable portion of this day, eh? If this goes on much longer I'll phone you +_+
> Thanks for this. I thought that might be it but then
> looked at the color coded guide and confused myself.
Those colors were put in so as to lessen my own confusion...
> So to recap, does this look roughly online:
> Castle Zagyg
> Part I Yggsburgh - City and surrounding area
Right, and you have the extent of this super-module set.
> Part II Dark Chateau - Castle (?)
Well, I suppose a castle-like chateau, more of a cross between a mansion and a fortified dwelling with many outside areas and buildings according to Rob.
> Part III Upper Works - Castle Ruins
> Part IV Beneath the Ground (first three levels)
Storerooms, Cellars, and Dungeon, plus one sublevel, the Arena.
> Part V The Laboratories, Menagier, Museum (five levels)
The two side levels being the Catacombs and the Upper Crypts.
> Part VI The Deeps (six levels)
These being the Lairs and a side level, the Lower Crypts accessed only from the Upper Crypts above; the Labyrinth and a side level the Warrens that can be accessed from the Labyrinth, the Warrens accessing the Lower Crypts above and the Vaults below; and finally the Endless Rooms with a side level, the Grand Mausoleum, but no entry to the Vaults.
> Part VII The Caverns - grotto, maze (six levels)
Proper order is Maze, Grottos (small caves) and the sublevel Pools of Chaos*, Caves with the Burrows sublevel it connecting to the level below, and Caverns.
* I envision normal connections to the Burrows and Caverns, also transporter pools on level and to various other dungeon level locations on a one-way basis.
> Part VIII Zagig's Way - Lightless Lake, Inferno (three
Again, proper order is the Lightless Lake, the Little Inferno, and then Zagyg's Zone (or some such name).
> I've added some working title names that aren't written
> in stone, obviously.
The Levels of The Original Castle Greyhawk (as seen through the lens of Castle Zagyg)
Breaking out the levels from their CZ book groupings yields the following list:
- The Storerooms
- The Cellars
- The Dungeon
- The Arena (sub-level)
- The Laboratories
- The Menagerie
- The Museum
- The Catacombs (sub-level)
- The Upper Crypts (sub-level)
- The Lairs
- The Lower Crypts (side-level; accessible only from The Upper Crypts above)
- The Labyrinth
- The Warrens (side-level; accessible from the Labyrinth, while the Warrens also accesses The Lower Crypts above and The Vaults below)
- The Vaults (side-/sub-level?)
- The Endless Rooms
- The Grand Mausoleum (side-level; no access to The Vaults)
- The Maze
- The Grottos
- Pools of Chaos (sub-level; accessible to The Burrows and The Caverns, and with transporter pools within this level and to various other dungeon levels' locations on a one-way basis)
- The Caves
- The Burrows (sub-level; also accessible to The Caverns below)
- The Caverns
- The Lightless Lake
- The Little Inferno
- Zagig's Zone
Next up: slotting the above information into what we already know about Castle Greyhawk's levels.