Can have no note, unless the sun were post---
The Man i' the Moon's too slow---till newborn chins
Be rough and razorable; she that from whom
We all were sea-swallowed, though some cast again,
And by that destiny to perform an act
Whereof what's past is prologue, what to come
In yours and my discharge.
---Antonio in The Tempest,
Act 2, Scene 1, Lines 247-255,
Written by William Shakespeare in 1611 or so
without the benefit of an OGL
|Oh the irony...|
...and to think that I'd almost quit Twitter again last week!
Some resources I've found useful while navigating the teapot that WotC seems intent upon drowning within:
- Cory Doctorow's "Good riddance to the Open Gaming License" (also at https://mostlysignssomeportents.tumblr.com/post/706163316598407168/good-riddance-to-the-open-gaming-license)
- Matt Finch's "Moving the OSR Forward into the post-OGL Era"
- Stephen R. Marsh's legal research in the North Texas RPG Con Facebook group
- Stuart Marshall on the Paizo ORC license: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OSRIC1E/posts/3419328041630174/
- Anna Meyer's "Open D&D"
- Ryan Dancey's "Roll for Combat" interview: "One of the Architects of the Original OGL, Ryan Dancey, Discusses Its Creation | Roll For Combat"
- Ryan Dancey statements @ ENWorld: https://www.enworld.org/threads/ryan-dancey-hasbro-cannot-deauthorize-ogl.694196/
- Ryan Dancey's Change.org Petition: "Hasbro, Please Take No Action Regarding the Open Gaming License v1.0a"
- Linda Codega's "Dungeons & Dragons’ New License Tightens Its Grip on Competition"---the leak that started the typhoon
Companies and Conventions Leaving the WotC Value Chain
- North Texas RPG Con
- Frog God Games and their Official OGL statement
- Paizo and their Open RPG Creatiive license
- Kobold Press
- Necrotic Gnome
...and multitudes more joining the crusade with each passing minute.
I'm Sure There Will be More to Come...
...but perhaps, perhaps, perhaps WotC is wising up?: https://gizmodo.com/dungeons-dragons-ogl-announcement-wizards-of-the-coast-1849981365.
Update 13 January 11:31am CST
...and so we did: https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1423-an-update-on-the-open-game-license-ogl
Updated with links to FGG and Paizo official statements, new Paizo Open RPG Creative license.ReplyDelete